Friday 7 May 2021

Books 25-44 of 2021

I've been reading a whole lot of books though I stopped reviewing all of them. I'm trying to pick up varying genres and mixing them up only to ensure a comprehensive reading experience.

Amongst the thrillers were the works of Tilly Bagshawe, Gillian Flynn, CarolynArnold, Rich Curtin, Paul Knox and others. I have posted mini-reviews for some of them. 

Book 39 of 2021: Final Arrangements
by Rich Curtin. I enjoyed the brilliant deduction & steady investigative prowess of Manny Rivera - deputy with a heart of gold. Superb Utah mystery. Rated 4.7/5

Book 40 of 2021: Ties That Bind
by Carolyn Arnold. Nice twists and turns, though somewhat predictable. Knight is an interesting character study - brilliant, lonely & at times, annoying. Rated 3.6/5

The longest read however, was Book 41 of 2021: A House for Mr Biswas by VS Naipaul. It was a tough read, a bit slow in the mid portion but became engrossing towards the climax. It captures the challenges & frustration of the Indian diaspora, through the lifelong, poignant struggle of Mr Biswas & his search for independent identity. I rate it 4/5.

Book 42 of 2021 was Wisdom Spring
by Andrew Cunningham. A gripping, fast-paced story, touching romance, thrilling suspense & danger, with a delicious twist of the surreal-paranormal. Enjoyed immensely. Must read, rated 4.7/5 by me.

Book 43 of 2021 was Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It is a gripping suspense with regular twists in storyline. Interesting mirroring of a marriage between unconventional, yet human characters. Thriller lovers may enjoy it more. I rate it 4.7/5.

I also enjoyed some easy reads - kiddie books in between hardcore thrillers, just to ease off the tension of the gory reads. One of them was Steven Whibley who keeps readers entertained with funny, endearing and sweet characters, while the stories remain usually unpredictable. I read the first three of the 6th Grade Revengers series and intend to read more. Enid Blyton's Famous Five 3-in-one was a joy as well. 

I hope to keep you all updated on my future reads too. Till then, stay safe! 

Happy reading, Readers! 




No comments:

Post a Comment