Wednesday 10 February 2021

Book Review of 'My Sleepless Nights' by Manohar Grandhi


I chose to read non-fiction as my 11th read of 2021: My Sleepless Nights : A Story of Victory over Insomnia by Manohar Grandhi.

This is one of the few non-fiction books that I was enticed to read. I am not a fan of self-help books since they seem repetitive. However, this being a tiny book of only 60 pages, read was different because it didn’t read like excessive preaching or unnecessary exaggeration.

Moreover, I was able to identify certain behavioural traits that I am guilty of from time to time. Although I have never had real insomniac issues, there have been times when I have been unable to sleep , especially when I have begun a suspense thriller. Being an avid reader, I have read all night or late into the night on many occasions to finish the books I have begun reading.

I have also worked night shifts, particularly graveyard shifts for a couple of years in the past and I can vouch that it was the worst period of my whole working life. I absolutely hate losing sleep for whatever reason and such experiences taught me to treasure the value of a good night’s sleep.

I believe that sleep is the single most important luxury in life, more crucial than food or sex. Thereby, I was able to identify with the author’s struggle with insomnia.

The narrative of the book is smooth and easy going. What I found interesting was the inclusion of stories from Google. Although I have read or heard most of them, it was nice to read them again and see how they were connected to the issue under discussion.

Most of the quotes were commonly read ones and I would have liked to read more rare gems that I’ve never read before. Also, I’d have liked the book to have been slightly longer than it is. The author has pointed out all the reasons that contributed to his struggle and also the techniques, assistance and practices that helped him deal with it.

A good book, I rate it 4.1 out of 5. Extra points are for the unselfish mention of all the names that assisted the author in his journey of progress and success.

Did you find my review useful? Do comment below and follow my blog for more.

Happy reading, readers.

***

2 comments: